EXTERIOR RENOVATION

 
IMG_2203_edited.jpg

The house originally had gray siding with a brick accent.  The shutters and door were dark brown and the trim was a creamy white.

HOUSE EXTERIOR, BEFORE

IMG_2272_edited_edited.jpg

We removed the brick, changed the roofline, installed new windows, redesigned the front porch and dormers, changed the gutters, re-landscaped and replaced the front door.  We painted everything a warm white.

HOUSE EXTERIOR, AFTER

IMG_3215_edited.jpg

The newly re-landscaped yard and lighting add the polishing touches to the curb appeal.

HOME EXTERIOR, AFTER

IMG_2995_edited_edited.jpg

The original dormer design was chunky and over shadowed the small windows.  The original windows were divided into too many lites and all those lines made the small windows look busy.

DORMER DESIGN, BEFORE

IMG_2358_edited_edited_edited.jpg

The new dormer windows have fewer lites and fewer lines, making them  appear larger.

DORMER RECONSTRUCTION

IMG_2291_edited.jpg

The new dormer design is slimmer in profile and the windows look larger and more in proportion to the house.

DORMER DESIGN, AFTER

IMG_2357_edited.jpg

The original roof was peaked over the front door and was made of standard brown/gray asphalt shingles.

THE ROOF, BEFORE

IMG_2352_edited.jpg

We removed the peaked roof over the entryway in preparation for installing the new slate shingles.

THE ROOF, DURING 

IMG_2907.jpg

Removing the peak over the foyer added architectural interest while also showcasing the new slate roof.

THE ROOF, AFTER

IMG_2203_edited.jpg

The house's old vinyl windows were not evenly spaced across the front of the house.  They were short in length and divided into too many lites with lots of distracting lines.

WINDOW DESIGN, BEFORE

IMG_3176.jpg

The new custom wooden windows are evenly spaced across the front of the house and divided into fewer lites for a cleaner, less distracting look.  The first floor windows are floor-to-ceiling length so plenty of natural light enters the house.

WINDOWS, AFTER

IMG_2292_edited.jpg

The house originally had standard  4" aluminum gutters. I replaced them with 6" half round, copper ones.  The larger size packs a visual punch while serving the practical purpose of protecting the house from water.

THE GUTTERS, AFTER

IMG_2356_edited.jpg

Because of the awkward spacing of the original windows, there wasn't room for shutters on the right side of the house.

SIDE VIEW OF HOUSE, BEFORE

IMG_3237_edited_edited.jpg

I designed large working shutters for all the new first floor windows.  I used a combination of louvers and a panel for visual interest because I chose to paint the house and all the trim the same color.

SIDE VIEW OF HOUSE, AFTER

IMG_2203_edited_edited.jpg

The entry to the house lacked both a porch and an appropriate sized rain overhang.

VIEW OF THE STOOP, BEFORE

IMG_2920_edited.jpg

The newly redesigned entry has both a stoop and a large overhang.

VIEW OF STOOP, AFTER

IMG_2203_edited_edited_edited.jpg

The original front door was craftsman style with dark hardware.

THE FRONT DOOR, BEFORE

IMG_3243_edited.jpg

The new mahogany front door has a custom designed pattern and antique brass hardware.

FRONT DOOR, AFTER